The Shoreham Facility (Facility) encompasses an area of approximately 230 acres in northeast Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is owned by Soo Line Railroad Company (Soo Line), doing business as Canadian Pacific. The Facility is generally bounded to the north by St. Anthony Parkway, to the south by St. Anthony Cemetery and 27th Avenue NE, and ranges between Central Avenue NE to the east and University Avenue to the west. The Site has been used for a variety of railroad activities since the late 1880s. In addition, portions of the property were leased at various times to tenants who conducted a variety of other activities, such as wood-treatment or bulk chemical and petroleum storage and distribution. Areas of the Facility currently undergoing environmental monitoring or cleanup are outlined below.
Historical activities on the east side of the Facility included bulk chemical (primarily volatile organic compounds) and petroleum storage and distribution, as well as railroad operations. Canadian Pacific and one of its former tenants are cooperating to implement the cleanup and associated monitoring. Oversight of work in this area is provided by two programs at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA): MPCA Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup (VIC) Program and the MPCA Petroleum Remediation Program.
The Cedar Service Site (Cedar Service) is a 29-acre area in the northwestern portion of the Facility that was leased to wood-treating businesses between 1915 and 1972. Wood was treated at Cedar Services with pesticides to extend its life and slow the development of rot. Creosote was used as the primary wood-treating compound at Cedar Services until the early 1960s, when it was replaced by pentachlorophenol (PCP) in a fuel oil solution. Canadian Pacific has conducted cleanup of this area and undertakes continued groundwater monitoring with oversight from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA).
The McFarland-Dworsky area is approximately 5 acres and is located in the north-central portion of the Facility. This area was leased to a wood-treating business (McFarland) from 1926-1955 and was subsequently the site of a used-barrel reclamation facility (Dworsky) from 1956 until about 1978. Dworsky Barrel ceased reconditioning drums but continued to store drums on the site until the lease was cancelled in 1990. Canadian Pacific has conducted cleanup of this area and undertakes continued groundwater monitoring. Cleanup work is jointly overseen by MDA and the MPCA VIC Program.
In the northeastern corner of the Shoreham Facility is a 3-acre former disposal site referred to as the Soo Line Dump Site. The Dump Site was used for disposal of materials such as brick, glass, wood, metal, and debris from approximately 1940 through the 1960s. Canadian Pacific completed closure of this area with oversight from the MPCA VIC program.
Andrew NicholsVIC ProgramMinnesota Pollution Control Agency520 LaFayette Road NorthSt. Paul, MN email@example.com
Stacey VanPattenPetroleum ProgramMinnesota Pollution Control Agency520 LaFayette Road NorthSt. Paul, MN firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim KellyMinnesota Department of Health625 Robert Street N.St. Paul, MN email@example.com