Skip to main content

Dangerous Goods notification list - Canada

​​In April 2016, Transport Canada issued Protective Direction (PD) 36 to replace the existing PD 32.

Canadian Class 1 railways must now post a public report on their website with the breakdown of the top 10 dangerous goods they transport through a province, and provide a public report that communities can access.

Provincial Data

In Canada, only 9% of loaded shipments on CP are regulated dangerous goods. The remaining 91% of loaded shipments are non-regulated products.​ Find out what products comprise the dangerous goods shipments in your province by selecting from the list below:

​Access Requests for Municipalities

PD 36 requires Canadian Class 1 railways to provide registered municipalities with:

  • dangerous goods reports twice a year immediately;
  • dangerous goods reports four times a year within 24 months; and
  • a standardized format for presenting data.

Dangerous goods data provided by railways to communities will include:

  • information on the number of unit trains;
  • percentage of railway cars transporting dangerous goods;
  • information on the nature and volume;
  • number of trains, and;
  • a report similar to the data reported in the provincial summaries that may be made public.​

To receive this information:

1. The municipality must have an Emergency Planning Official (EPO) listed with the EPO list maintained by Transport Canada, through CANUTEC and the EPO must agree to:

  • Use the information only for emergency planning or response.
  • Disclose the information only to those persons who need to know for the purposes referred to in.
  • Keep the information confidential and ensure any person to whom the Emergency Planning Official(s) has disclosed the information keeps it confidential, to the maximum extent permitted by law.
  • A Chief Administrative Officer of a municipality may request Transport Canada, through CANUTEC, that the name of its designated Emergency Planning Official be added to the list of Emergency Planning Officials by providing the following information for the person: name, title, organization, address, e-mail address fax number, telephone number and cell phone number.
  • This contact information will be shared with any Canadian Class 1 railway company who transports dangerous goods and any person who transports dangerous goods by railway vehicle.
For the purposes of this Protective Direction, information to be provided to CANUTEC is to be provided to the following address:
 
Canadian Transport Emergency Centre (CANUTEC)
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street, 14th Floor,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A ON5
 
Or email ​ CANUTEC@tc.gc.ca​

​2. Fill out the request form below, have it signed by your Emergency Planning Official and email it to HMReports@cpr.ca​.