Expressway is a short-haul transportation service between Toronto and Montreal that combines the best of truck and rail to help you reduce costs and better serve your needs.
Developed with input from trucking companies, Expressway allows shippers to move their standard, non-reinforced trailers in the high-volume corridor between Toronto and Montreal.
Benefits of Expressway
- Fast transit times by avoiding traffic congestion. Expressway trains have high-priority on our tracks
- Competitive directional pricing vs. trucks
- Around-the-clock terminals, located close to major highways with daily departures 7 days per week
- Easy-to-use reservation system where you can book from a few hours up to one year in advance. And Drivers can be in and out in less than 15 minutes
- Same day reservations guarantee that your trailer will move when you want it to
- Rail reduces fuel, maintenance and tire costs associated with trucks
- Expressway can handle any type or size of no reinforced trailer: dry vans or tankers, flat beds or containers on chassis
- Trailers are loaded with specially designed tractor units, which avoid damage often associated with traditional crane-lifting methods
- Specially designed railcars deliver a superior ride quality, reducing the potential for in-shipment damage
How Expressway Works
- Trucking companies make reservations online or by phone
- Expressway terminal employee will meet driver and confirm reservation with hand held booking in device
- Expressway driver unloads trailer and your driver will check out in less than 15 minutes
- Expressway specially-designed tractor unit loads trailer onto specially designed railcar and trailer is securely hitched
- Expressway cargo is delivered at destination without risk of freight damage
- Trucking company picks up trailer at destination
Full instructions can be found in our shipping guide here.